First of all, have an electrician install an outdoor power-point in an appropriate place The electrician will connect the power point to a power source depending on how you have decided to have your garden lights switch on and off. (see How you will turn off and on your Garden Lights? )
12volt Garden Lighting DIY Instructions
Install the transformer
Connect cable to transformer
Light fitting installation
1.Cut the cable where the light cable is to be joined
2. Split cables
3. Strip wries using the connector as guide for length. (note: strip wire about 5mm shorter than connector)
4. Gather together one wire from each pair of cable and twist on the connector.
5. Tape to secure. (optional)
6. Repeat step 4 & 5 with other wires
7. Tape cables together to secure and make the join easy to cover.
Repeat with each light fitting down the line. The end light is connected to the end of the main cable
8. Plant the lights where you want them and adjust the vertical tilt if needed.
9. Test: When all the lights are installed to your satisfaction, plug the transformer into the outdoor power-point and test the lights to ensure everything is operating correctly. If not see ‘Troubleshooting’ below.
10. If you have a timer, set it now.
11. Conceal cables under the ground, bark, gravel, etc.
12. At dusk, fine-tune the aiming angles of the lights.
13. Pour yourself a nice glass of wine and enjoy!
None of the lights work:
If a Sunset Timer is controlling the transformer check that it is dark enough for it to operate (cover the sensor with a rag or tape).
Only some lights work: